Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The lil ones

Recently at church I was talking to a little girl who loves to sing. She showed me a YouTube video of herself singing a hit pop song that's out right now. I watched the video and waited to see if she would sing some of the lyrics that were clearly not biblically on point, she sang the lyrics all the way through. I asked her do you know what you are singing, she said yes and went on to explain. I asked her do you think what you just sang is Gods view? She said yes. The interesting thing is when I showed her scripture that revealed a different view she was shocked. I told her I love the song your singing but just because I love the way the song sounds it does not mean that what the song is saying is right. I told her I sing these songs in my wedding band and I re-write some lyrics that I know are not God honoring when I have to sing the songs and encouraged her to get creative and try to do the same.

This interaction got me thinking about how tweens and teens are getting their theology. In this case the artist was giving a very strong and compelling theological view of sexuality, in fact the artist was even stating that their view was Gods view. What I think is interesting is that a lot of parents have no idea what their kids are listening to/singing. The lyrics in a lot of songs that are out are hidden behind a lot of cool sounds but underneath the sound is a message that is teaching young ones a worldview. It made me think I want to keep making music that can sound amazing and stand with the top artists but give positive uplifting messages that align with scripture.

So should you empty your kids I pod of all pop music? I don't think so. I think you should teach them to discern what is right and what is not. Listen to the music they listen to. Talk about it. Help them discover Gods truth. It's not the musical sound that's going misguide your kid, but the message might.

No comments:

Post a Comment